There’s usually a cold, bug or flu going around. That’s especially true in schools, and even more so during the notorious cold and flu seasons. Schools are quite germy, for lack of a better phrase; kids are often very close to one another, and they frequently touch each other, exchanging germs in the process. Did you know that kids get sick about 10 times every year? That happens because a child’s immune system is less mature and, therefore, more susceptible to illness than an adult’s.
Here at Mac’s Janitorial Service, we specialize in keeping schools and other facilities germ-free 12 months out of the year. Our expertise lends itself to every facet of cleaning, including delousing. We put together this list of steps for those in academia who’d like to take a few precautionary steps in order to avoid winter 2015-2016’s cold and flu strains.
1. Cover up when your cough or sneeze. You’ve probably heard this your whole life, but regardless, everyone needs a reminder every now and then. Make sure you instruct students and faculty to do the same!
2. Encourage frequent hand sanitizer use for both staff and students alike. Have bottles of hand sanitizer readily available and accessible for everyone to use after they touch each other or come in from outside. It might sound like overkill, but you’ll be thankful you did when the winter is over and you didn’t get sick.
3. Instruct students and faculty who are sick to visit the nurse’s office! Anyone displaying signs of illness has the potential to have a detrimental impact on the outcome of everyone’s learning.
4. Wipe down everything, all the time. After each time kids use their tables, wipe them down. After each period, do you your best to wipe down the desks. This will go miles in your personal battle against cold and flu germs.
5. Stop touching everything. This goes for students and teachers alike. It’s not a 100% safeguard, but unless you’re sanitizing or scrubbing, it’d be best to be mindful about where you’re putting your hands.
Of course, taking these steps won’t guarantee that you or any other school students or personnel won’t get sick. However, they’re much better than doing nothing! If you need your school professionally cleaned, give us a call. Or, if you work somewhere other than a school, we can help you out with that, too. Take a look around our website to find out more about the services we provide.